Friday, January 13, 2006

A Trilogy of Dwarves

***a dwarf is a form of flash fiction limited to 101 words, including title. they are excellent for plowing through writer's block. (and yes, i did manage to achieve the exact word count.)***

Dumb

It shocked us all the way she entered a room, so unapologetic for her practiced swagger, snapping hearts with just a wiggle of her hips. She wore the kind of clothes that shouldn’t even be called clothes; they clung to her curves like a vise, somehow displaying more than her nude form would. We could only gawk, stare and drool over her, watching as words fell out of her mouth and diamonds highlighted her eyes. Rivulets of thought spewed forth from her vocal chords, yet all meaning was lost in translation. She would have been prettier if she didn’t speak.

***

Fault

Destined for nowhere, these funny words you use. I guess I knew you wouldn’t come around again; I set it up that way. You see, the thing is, I try not to use words like “always” and “never.” Yet you kept asking for them. I am so weak about you. So I screwed up, again and again, using forbidden words I couldn’t make true, but I said them anyway. I warned you, I know I did, but you believed me anyway. I guess you’ll blame me and I’ll blame you and we won’t have to believe what we don’t want to.

***

Note

Hi. I wanted to apologize for the mess. If there was any other way, I wouldn’t have left it for you to clean up. I won’t kid you and me both, I never could clean up a mess, which is why I’m typing this out for you to read. I’ll leave it here, won’t even waste the paper. This way, you can delete it after you’ve read it. Maybe you’ll write something new in its place. I hope you write something new. I hope this doesn’t hurt you the way it hurts me. It’ll be over soon, I promise. Bye.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I like "Dumb" and "Note" best. "Dumb" is insanely clever. *g*

Mama B said...

isn't that funny? "fault" is my favorite and "dumb" just makes me sad.