Friday, December 23, 2005

books for the new year

i had way too much fun xmas shopping for my fellow readers this year. i get so giddy walking through a bookstore with so much money in my back pocket. every shelf hides treasures, books i've loved or always meant to read. i'm such a dork, i write down the books that intrigue me that i can't afford to get yet, in the store of course, otherwise i will forget. i could stay in a bookstore from open to close, if only they would let me smoke and lie down, as i tend to get tired during the day, especially if i'm in public.

today was trying... very, very trying. sara and i were recognized by two employees in office depot, the younger siblings of girls with whom we both played softball. they came up one right after the other; it was quite alarming really. we exchanged pleasantries and practically ran out of the store. it doesn't look like running though; we both just have long legs. why do i not possess an invisibility cloak?

books to read in the next year:

lolita by vladimir nabokov
snow falling on cedars by david guterson
the good apprentice by iris murdoch
the wings of the dove by henry james
mansfield park by jane austen
cry to heaven by anne rice
the mars chronicles by ray bradbury
a tree grows in brooklyn by betty smith
lucky by alice sebold
neverwhere by neil gaiman (i swear i'm getting to it, damn you public library*)
house of leaves by mark daniel welski
jude the obscure by thomas hardy
the fountainhead by ayn rand
the first sex by elizabeth gould davis
the tao of physics by fritjof capra
the secret life of bees by sue monk kidd
me talk pretty one day by david sedaris
edible woman by margaret atwood
the prophet by kahlil gibran
narcissus and goldmund by herman hesse
the time-traveler's wife by audrey niffenegger
heart is a lonely hunter by carson mccullers
madame bovary's ovaries by david barash
life is a dream by pedro calderon de la garca
high fidelity by nick hornby
interpretor of maladies by jhumpa lahiri
middlesex by jeffrey eugenides
god's debris by scott adams
song of solomon by toni morrison
battle royale by koushun takami
the bean trees by barbara kingsolver
how to travel with a salmon by umberto eco
this side of paradise by f. scott fitzgerald
the importance of being earnest by oscar wilde

*i'm just kidding. i love you public library. i would be way more lost than i am now without you.

i have a lot of reading to do. it makes me glow inside, it really does. i hope if you were looking for something to read, you found some fun ideas. if you think of a book i might like, or you think i should read it just on the principle of the matter, feel free to suggest. okay, i'm begging you to suggest books, i can't get enough, i've got a problem. feed my addiction, i implore you. ;)

2 comments:

lauren said...

Lolita and F. Scott Fitzgerald are both on my list of things to read this year. Classics that I never got around to. I hope you make some progress!

Sara said...

Sadly, oh so sadly, I haven't read anything on your list. *sigh*

I did want to note that you might want to give Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy a chance since you're looking to read Jude the Obscure. I remember quite liking Tess... when I was in high school - so that says a lot. It's waiting for you on my bookshelf. ;)

Now, since our talk of women in literature and their ever-auspicious happily ever afters (which from now on shall be refered to as "HEA"s), I've wanted to mention a book to you. In Her Shoes by Jennifer Wiener (Joanne or I have this...). Yes, it's 'chicklit' but I think if you gave it a chance, you may appreciate this one. One of the protagonists gets her HEA the typical way, but I think you'll be pleased with how the other protagonist gets hers.

I can't think of any other books off the top of my head. Anyway, I'm supposed to be writing today.