Monday, December 19, 2005

i'm on a roll, so i figure i might as well go with it... see what comes out...

it's the end of another year. have i truly learned anything? maybe the lesson that i do not know anything. that seems to keep popping back up. anytime i start to think i do... yeah. i guess i've just resolved to loosen up more, not take myself so seriously, and to truly delight in the absurd world around me. it is the little things. for now, it has to be.

i have a book list a mile long. that is something to look forward to. i have college courses to create. fields of thought to explore. perspectives to be shared. i have good conversation to look forward to. good people that make me think thoughts i might not have, and that is a good thing. i have more laughter inside me, waiting for the right moment to escape. i might even have some smiles to share.

and always i'll have more words. oh yes, those won't ever stop coming. not until i'm dead at least. but i suppose death would make them more popular, although when have i ever wanted what was popular? no, that's just the message the tv tries to send, the one i'm consciously avoiding now. my muse whispers "write," and so i do.

this is my effort to share my words with any who will read them. reading is going out of style with the popular crowd, so i appreciate just the fact that you got this far. that's absolutely wonderful of you and i thank you sincerely, even if i don't know who you are. i'd like to know, so leave me a comment, a criticism, a letter, a poem,... (you get the idea)... anything to show me that you're here, that you're real, that you're reading!

if you're completely unsatisfied, i'll leave you with a poem i did not write, but nevertheless, think is beautiful. perhaps your trip here can be salvaged among its lines:

l(a

le
af

fa
ll
s)

one
l
iness

e.e. cummings (1958)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is a series of moments, glad to have shared this one with you

Sara said...

Ah, writers are ever a contradiction, aren't we? ;)

We don't relish what is popular; we crave what is original. But, at the same time, we're dying to be the ones that are popular. It's a dichotomy I've yet to figure out. I write for me. Because I want to, have to, etc.. But when it all becomes public, I have an insane need for acceptance. Feedback of any sort, though preferably the good kind. Why? When writing is so personal and done merely for individual satisfaction, why is what others think so important?

Well, best I can figure is that if people accept and love our writing - the extension of our souls - that means we've been validated. Our existence has meaning. And in the insane world of the craft of writing, success is measured by popularity. Ain't that a bitch? :P