Friday, February 03, 2006

A Sestina for Sestinas to Drive Me Insane

(author's note: i apologize in advance for this. and yes, i am blaming a penguin for it.)

A Sestina for Sestinas to Drive Me Insane


A challenge from which I’m too stubborn to refrain:
This funny game of words the French often play.
But no rhyme to sestina! It’s too hard to maintain!
In this complex system to draw words from the brain,
Committed to paper to halt the one who complains,
“A much needed break from haiku to keep sane!”

Who knew it was poetry needed to keep sane?
The naming of names I promise I’ll refrain,
Only a penguin would have the audacity to complain,
“Too few syllables with which I can play,
There’s not enough words to engage a bird’s brain,
Yet with form exact my attention you’ll maintain.”

With words which sound the same, the rhyme is maintained.
Although soon it must end, otherwise, I’ll go insane.
I’ve no wish for repetition (repeating repeats) in my brain,
So after this is done, from poetic verse I’ll refrain.
There’s too many other ways in which my pen plays,
But I suppose I know better than some who complain.

Next time I shall pay no heed a poet in complaint,
Of the lack of excitement it’s my job to maintain.
But as it unfolds, the sestina’s great fun to play,
Although not much helpful when it comes to staying sane.
When the next challenge appears, I know I’ll refrain
‘Cuz I’m going batty with rhymes on the brain.

O Sestina! How you already bore my brain!
Such strict limits I can’t help but complain!
These end words, these lines all sing the same refrain,
This order so diverse yet simplistic rhyme to maintain.
I’ve caught myself in a poem, methodically going insane.
Only nine lines remain. Then, that’s it, I won’t play!

Yet I yielded to the task, this game of verse to play
And the one to pay the consequence is my poor ravaged brain.
Oh well, too late, what good is the poet who remains sane?
Perhaps it’s just instinct for the poet to complain
I’ve got sentences to scribble, imagination to maintain
Next time, I’ll know, from silly poems I‘ll refrain.

This amusement I played, so you’d better not complain.
I’ve exercised my brain - for your entertainment - I maintain
And if you wish to stay sane, from rhyming sestinas, you’ll refrain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It all makes sense now, u were more lucid that night after you wrote this then you should have been.